Monday, January 9, 2012

Re: Tebow

Ah, Timmy. Tim Tebow. Today's hero; Tomorrow's disaster?

While it's perfectly OK to respect someone's faith and to desire to emulate them, I do cringe when I see the way the world is placing #15 up on a pedestal. Christians rally around him and lift him up while skeptics want to see him fall, and fall hard. I don't watch football but I know when Tebow scores. My Facebook wall blows up. The blogosphere alights. The Tweeters are atwitter. (You'd have to live a hole to not know when Tim Tebow has scored a touchdown.) You may have even seen my reaction to the game last night on Facebook:

"Everyone is saying "Tebow!" but I think the point Tim is trying to get across is: "God!" 

How frustrating that must be for him. He is trying to point the world to God, and instead, the world points to him.  So, if you really love Tim Tebow and you are really psyched about what is going on when he's on the field, do him a favor and:

  • Give God the credit. (It's pretty obvious He's the one doing the work.)
  • Be like him. Fer real. If he's not afraid to pray on national TV, you need not feel afraid to pray over your dinner. 
  • Pray for him. Like I said, many people want him to fall. Pray that he would grow in his faith and that God will uphold him and keep him strong. Pray that people would actually know God through him.  








No comments:

Post a Comment