Saturday, December 11, 2010

This Weekend: 4 Ways to Celebrate Advent

Now that you've finished your classes for the fall and are finding yourself immersed in finals and semi-formals, take some time this weekend to be with Jesus.  As we prepare our hearts for Him to come at Christmas, there are many ways you can commune with Him this weekend:

1. Prayer.  Have you visited the Greek IV Prayers and Ponderings blog? We are currently using the Ancient Christian Devotional to guide us through Advent scripture readings and prayers.  Give thirty minutes to God today.  Read through His Word, reflect on what He is saying to you, and pray to the God who loves you and has saved you.

2. Fellowship. We encounter Christ when we fellowship (read: hang out) with other believers.  On Sunday, go to church and celebrate the third Sunday of Advent. Afterwards, join us at the Greek IV Christmas Brunch. All are welcome. Bring a friend, bring some food. If you haven't found a church you call home here at Penn, ask me or one of your friends for some suggestions.

3. Serve.  Jesus said, "34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’  37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’" (Matthew 25:34-40)  You can serve Jesus with your time, talents and treasures. The next time you see a Salvation Army bell ringer or are asked to tithe a bit extra at church, remember that the Christ who did not spare anything for you calls you to serve Him and others in this way.  {For those of us who are strapped for cash, certainly there are ways we can serve over Christmas break. Contact your favorite local charity as soon as you get home!}

4. Worship. Turn up the Christmas carols. Trim the tree.  Light a candle. Bake some cookies. Give them out to others with the lyrics to your favorite Christmas hymn or poem or Scripture attached.  Honor Him and others with your mind, body, soul and strength as you study and celebrate over the next few days.

See you all Sunday at 12:30!

No comments:

Post a Comment